Q&A with the Apartment Association – September 2021 Update

我们收集了长滩公寓业主最关心的问题,并将它们全部询问了公寓协会的奥利弗·约翰·巴蒂斯特. Here are his answers!

California Eviction Moratorium

2021年9月30日是我们目前根据AB832规定的驱逐令到期的日期. We expect it to expire,但由于它在过去已经被扩展,我们可以抛出另一个曲线球. In terms of an extension, 这似乎不大可能,因为它需要通过宪法障碍. 这使得在州层面上延长到9月30日之后的可能性更小.

Unpaid Rent and Rental Relief Program

If you are a landlord and a tenant owes you money, whether it be one dollar or a hundred dollars, sign up for the LA County Covid-19 Rent Relief Program for two reasons:

  1. To get the money owed, if your tenant is eligible. 
  2. If you intend to file an eviction after September 30th, one of the first things they will ask you is, “did you at least attempt to apply for the Rent Relief program?” Even if you aren’t chosen for the program, and even if your tenant wasn’t eligible, 做出这样的尝试至少是在9月30日后推进驱逐的最低要求.

I’ve had many people say, “I’ve applied and I’m waiting and waiting.“我告诉他们的是继续等待,因为还有资金,而且你会得到资金. It’s just a matter of making sure all the paperwork is in place. 这个项目是一个很好的项目,虽然它被推迟了,但资金即将到位. They have a lot of funds ready to be issued.

Landlords Should Spearhead the Rent Relief Program

房东说,“我的房客欠我钱,我的房客正在报名参加这个项目.“我告诉他们的是,他们应该领导整个过程,以确保他们得到报酬. 如果这笔钱是给租客的,租客有14天时间支付给房东. We hope that the tenant pays the landlord in 14 days time, 如果不是, then this can be the basis of further legal action. 

为了避免这种混乱,你应该是整个过程的领头人. 上线,启动流程,并为您的租户简化流程. This also shows intent. Should you end up in court in front of a judge, you can show proof that you did what you could do, but you really needed the tenants cooperation.

Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU)

我们在公寓协会做了一些调查,我们对一些业主做了一些调查,我们得到了一些简单的事实. 在整个大流行期间,大部分adu(附属住宅单位)没有受到影响. 是的, there are developments going on downtown, but those are luxury apartments and not affordable housing.

In terms of affordable housing, adu是在过去几年里出现显著增长的唯一来源.  Long Beach had 600 permits pulled in 2020. 年复一年,这是经济适用房的主要来源.

当他们第一次通过ADU法律时,他们只希望他们支持SFRs. Since then, they have made an amendment for multifamily units. Also when they first created it, you were able to build on top of your garages, 但现在我听说他们正在停止这种做法,不允许adu出现在车库上方,而是允许车库的转换. This leads to the removal of garages, and it sounds backwards.

是的, 公寓协会的部分会员也遇到了同样的问题, but there are some curve-balls that have been thrown at us. 

在2018-2019年期间,有7个立法法案允许这些ADU的建设. These orders are uninformed about the industry, eager to learn, and I currently see it as a growth in the market.

一个SFR有一个新的ADU建造豁免AB1482,只要它是在同一个税单上. At the point of completed construction, 由于该房产是在过去15年内建造的,因此仍不受此限制.  15年后,ADU和SFR都失去了豁免,它们都受到了租金控制.

Other Common Questions from Landlords in Long Beach

If a landlord wants possession of their property, will they be able to get possession after September 30th?

如果你打算做一个实质性的装修(主要是在你的房子, work that will take at least 30 days).  This is substantial work; not work that can be knocked out in a couple of days. After sep 30th, that can be reason for termination; it’s what’s called, “No-fault termination.”

Prior to Sep. 30th, it has to be due to a health and safety reason. A very significant maintenance reason justifying a termination.

另一个可以立即终止的原因是业主占用.  Whether it be the owner, significant other, children, or grandparents for example, having them move into a unit can be reason for termination. 

当然,我们还有过失原因也就是租户违反合同. 

How much can I raise my rents? 

This is a very common question I get from landlords. The answer is yes; you can raise rents. If you have a duplex or above, you can raise the rent 8.6%, a 5% base plus the year on year CPI change of 3.6% for a total of 8.6%.

Read this blog 了解更多关于加州房东可以提高多少租金的信息.

Can I do maintenance work on my property?

You can enter your unit to do maintenance work. 当然要遵守在家更安全的原则,但你可以在这个时候做生意.

Other Updates for Landlords and Apartment Owners

Long Beach is working on a housing initiative. Creating a rent control department in the city of Long Beach, and a lot of people are concerned about this. 

大流行和暂停驱逐的经历给很多房主留下了创伤. Some are putting their properties on the market, and some are holding to see if they can sell in a more stable 2022. 一旦禁令通过,这将是许多船东最大的解脱. Going into 2022, 唯一可以预见的是阳台重建的要求要等到2025年, AB1482 will be with us until 2030.

Conclusion and Recap

  • Apply for the LA County Rent Relief Program 拿到工资和/或在暂停之后可以选择驱逐你的租户
  • At that moment, if you are going to do a substantial remodel, you need to give notice 60 days out from Oct 1st.
  • You can raise the rent 8.6% if you haven’t done so in the past 12 months.
  • The ADU laws have created housing; the only growth of affordable housing since 2008.

Related Posts

分享:

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
推特
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn